Wearing new clothes, lighting diyas, eating delicious food, family get togethers, blessings from elders these are the memorable things that come in my mind when I think of Diwali (Deepavali).
I am amazed at the variety of food my mom and my mother in law prepare for the festivals without tasting them as we have to offer it to God before we eat.
As I live in Germany and I am missing all the festival, food and family I thought why not I try one of the dishes. I always judged preparing these special foods is a hard job. But my mom encouraged me to try.
I chose to do Chakkuli and she explained me how to do. I tried, and it was a hit! Thanks mom 🙂
1 cup – black gram (urad dhal)
1 cup – coconut milk
2 cups – water
4 cups – rice flour
2 tbsp – white sesame or cumin seeds
salt to taste
oil for frying + 3 tbsp hot oil
- pressure cook black gram, coconut milk and water till soft.
- once cooled add salt and make into a paste without adding extra water. You can grind it in the food processor or blend it in a blender.
- then add rice flour, sesame seeds, hot oil and mix.
- heat oil in a pan.
- take the desired amount of dough and fill in the chakkuli press and make round swirls or sticks.
- when the oil is reached to the desired temperature deep fry till golden brown.
- remove and place the chakkuli on a tissue.
- once cooled enjoy it and store the remaining in an airtight container.